Advocating for the Homeless Carla Drayton BSHS/442 Advocacy and Mediation Steven Zitar March 11, 2013 In this paper you will learn about some of the issues with advocacy in the human service field and how they are being address. This paper will give different areas that stand out in homelessness that needs to be examined. The areas that would be examined are the population of homeless people and their needs. The personal perspectives on assisting homeless people with problems as an advocate are as follows. There would be assist with clothing, food, shelter, job training, transportation, and manners and medical care if needed.
Specific Population: Homeless Population for the homeless in one night in the United States last year was 633,782. That number hasn’t change from the year of 2011 it got higher and the reduction of 5. 7% in 2007. Majority of the homeless people are single (62%) and the other (38%) are families. “The most proximate cause of homelessness in America is poverty” (University of Richmond, 2003).
In the year of 2013 there are hundreds and thousands of people homeless in the United States; a person who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence is considered homeless.
... to overcome. This paper will present homeless people as a vulnerable population and the demographics of this population on a local, state, and ... 29 percent of the United State’s homeless population in 2013 and 66 percent of those homeless people were unsheltered (HUD, 2013). At a ... the last 4 years and the majority of my patients have been indigent or from a lower socio-economic population. I have ...
Homeless people deals with violence, illness, and drug addiction. The population is still rising and experts are trying to maintain the current population. Assisting the clients “Advocacy refers to influencing decisions that affect the welfare or interests of another individual or group” (Barsky, 2000, pg. 219).
Being an advocator for the homeless would be a huge step to teach them about to never giving up, and there is hope for their situation. As an advocacy different examples would be given to the homeless people about other homeless people so that they would have hope and start believing in themselves again.
One of the examples would be Tyler Perry because he is a millionaire but at one point and time he was homeless and had a dream. Tyler Perry never gave up on his dream and because of that he is successful. This type of technique was used because each of them have a story on why or how they ended up homeless and unless that train of thought is broken the advocacy will never move forward with the clients. This step would be the most important step for the homeless people because without them believing in their selves nothing the advocacy will do would be successful.
The advocacy would help the clients set goals, locate different resources that could help them as well as educate them on how to get a job. The advocacy would help the clients fulfill their goals so that they can get the glory out of doing something for their selves and have that goof feeling of wanting to continue to grow. This paper has described to the roles of an advocacy when dealing with their homeless clients. There were different examples given about the steps that the clients need to take to get back on track and to become successful.
Advocacy is very important to different people, such as people living in special circumstances, ones that cannot achieve their goals, or ones that has been turned down from treatment or any other type of assistance. Reference Barsky, A. E. (2000).
Conflict Resolution for the Helping Professions, Thomson Learning University of Richmond, (2003).
Solutions for America: Preventing Homelessness in America. Retrieved August 14, 2008 http://www. solutionsforamerica. org/thrivingneigh/homelessness. html
In our current time of economic prosperity in the United States, many people are enjoying greater wealth, higher earnings, and profitable investments. Unemployment rates are reported to be low, and wages high. Yet there is still an extraordinary amount of homeless people living in the United States. In an article entitled "The Criminalization of Homelessness" Celine-Marie Pascale tries to convey ...