It was our first camping trip together as a family, and it was definitely not the fun filled experience we anticipated. After we got all the stuff loaded into the truck we were on our way to Baker Lake. It’s an hour and a half drive and we were planning on a two day stay, our plan was to arrive early, set up our tent and get settled. We would then familiarize ourselves with the area then go fishing. I couldn’t wait.
It started to go wrong when we arrived later than planned thanks to the Washington traffic being bumper to bumper, it was about 10:00 in the morning, all the actual campsites were taken, so we found a little area by the lake we could stay. Finally, we got the tent up with all of our sleeping bags in it. Little did I know about the mosquitoes that would be biting every inch of our bodies, picking at our skin like little blood sucking creatures. We decided we would take the boat down to the lake and see if we could catch anything. After getting the boat into the water, we took it out were there were not many people.
I fumbled for my fishing pole, dangling the humble rods end over the edge of the boat. I released the bail on the reel and plinked the lure into the water. Once I had let out enough line and set the rod in the holder, I sat back to wait for an attack on the line. When looking over at my husband Chad who was helping our son Aidan with his SpongeBob kids’ pole I thought the day was starting to look up. A sharp tug on the line pulled me to my feet faster than an electric shock. I bounded to the pole, and when I reached it out of the holder with all my might.
Mother Natures "Time Share" Lake Powell is a family resort for many. Every year at least two million people enjoy its splendor. But I would assume they do not know the trouble that lies beneath. Lake Powell was voted in by a small margin in March, 1956. It was part of the Colorado River Storage Project, also known as CRSP. Ever since it's beginning, some of the people who helped build the dam have ...
My nervous energy was so potent that when I tugged on the rod, I nearly plunged headlong over the side of the boat into the fish’s domain. After what seemed like a lifetime the Salmon leapt from the water and gleamed with radiant colors of blue and grey. The brilliant sunlight beaming down, I finally got the fish into the boat after five minutes which I will never forget. Aidan decided it was lunch time so we took the boat over to a little cove so he could have a sandwich and a bottle of water while Chad and I went swimming in the nice cool water.
After finishing his lunch all you hear is “I want to swim too” Aidan yells as he jumps off the side of the boat into his dad’s arms. Luckily he had his life jacket on. We spent about another thirty minutes swimming and then Chad and I were the hungry ones so we climbed back into the boat and enjoyed a sandwich. As we headed back to the campsite, we look out at the big blue lake calmly flowing, as the sunset turns into bright bursting colors of yellow, orange and pink.
The breeze moving through the trees and the smell of campfire lingers in our nostrils, oh yes, Aidan was as happy as can be, Chad cleaned the salmon, cooked it and we ate it with deer burgers for dinner and then we sat around the fire roasting marshmallows. A camping trip would not be complete without a campfire to roast marshmallows. This would be Aidan’s first s’more experience. Then it happened, Aidan had gotten up to walk over to sit by his dad on the other side of the fire, in doing so he lost his footing and tripped over a rock.
I thought my heart was going to hammer out of my chest, his hand landed on one of the campfire logs, his dad grabbed him within seconds but it felt like a lifetime. At first it seemed as though we grabbed him before any damage could be done but I grabbed the first aid kit that had the burn creme in it and put it all over his hand just in case. Minute or two later I looked and saw his hand starting to blister, skin starting to shrivel and Aidan screaming his head off. “Call 911, he has to go to the hospital! ” I pleaded “These burns are bad.
The Lake It was early July and my friend Chad and I decided to join his family at the lake. Chad's family was already up at the lake, and had some extra room in the condo. So we figured, what the hell, we could go for some boating. Right. The lake the only about a two-hour drive away. We were driving in Chad's father's convertible sports car, so the drive was quite pleasant. We drove through ...
” Unfortunately neither of us had cell phone service, so we threw everything in the tent so it couldn’t be seen, put out the camp fire and jumped into the truck to drive to the hospital, leaving everything behind. Trying everything to comfort Aidan while he was sitting in my lap nothing would work, I felt hopeless. Whizzing around the hills of the dirt road in the mountains all we could think about is Aidan’s injuries and that it was our fault as parents. Forty five minutes later we arrived at the nearest emergency room, luckily they took us right back to the doctor.
As we suspected Aidan had second degree burns on his hands his skin had reddened and became one big splotchy blister. The doctor wrapped Aidan’s hand in gauze after putting it in cold water for fifteen minutes, but told us Aidan’s burns were to severe to treat in there clinic and we would have to take him to the Seattle burn clinic. By the time we arrived in Seattle it was almost midnight. The clinic was expecting us so it was an easy process, the minute they saw his burns he was admitted.
All we wanted to do by then was sleep, but it took another two hours of the burn team to examine Aidan’s hand to see what needed to be done. Trying to tell a doctor how your three year old son burned his hand is harder than it seems. Fortunately, we were told he should not have any permanent damage, but eighty percent of his hand is burned and it will take almost a year to fully recover so he will need sunscreen put on anytime he went outside. After the news we were taken to a room and told we can get some rest, seemed like two seconds later all of us were asleep.
The next day he was happy because the nurse brought everyone pancakes for breakfast, but the rest of the day was heart wrenching, Aidan had his blisters popped so there was no chance of infection. Watching your son’s skin be torn off was one of the hardest things ever. Chad and I called our work to let them know what happened, they were supportive about us needing to be with our child. I am glad we have friends because they went to the camp site and picked everything up for us, luckily everything was in place.
Two days later we were able to take Aidan home along with a special airplane blanket that the doctor gave to him, the Physical therapist gave us some exercises to do for the rest of the month so he would not have any nerve issues and have full motion in his hand. Now there are very light scars but no permanent damage. My advice to you is if you enjoy camping and have kids, make sure there is a clear path around campfire or walk them yourselves because one family trip can turn in to a nightmare.
Water-jel technologies described a burn as damage to the skin and underlying tissue caused due to heat, chemicals or electricity. Burns damage and destroy the skin cells and deeper burns involve fat, muscle or even bone. Damages caused to skin due to destruction of one or more layers on coming into contact with hot liquids or steam are called scalds. The period of exposure and temperature to which ...