Windows XP Tips Collection
Here’s how to check if your copy of XP is Activated
Go to the run box and type in oobe/msoobe /a
and hit ok …theirs your answer
Windows Explorer Tip
When launched in Windows Millennium/Win2k/WinXP,Explorer by default will open the “My Documents” folder. Many people prefer the behavior from previous versions of Windows, where Windows Explorer would open and display “My Computer” instead of the new way. To revert to the old way [My Computer by default rather than My Documents as the default], simply edit the shortcut to Windows Explorer, by right clicking on it, and left clicking “Properties” and changing the “Target” box to: “C:WINDOWSEXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,” [adjust the path/drive letter if needed]. The key is to add the “/n,/e,” to the end of the shortcut (don’t type the quotes).
Backup your Fresh install
After you complete your clean install and get all your software installed I would recommend that you use something like drive image 3 or 4 to do an image of your install partition, then burn the image to CD and keep it. XP is a different creature for some people. If you mess it up when playing around with it, just bring the image back. You can be up and running again in 20 minutes vs. the two to three hours it will take to get the whole thing and all your stuff installed again.
The Term Paper on Microsoft Hidden Files Windows Explorer
By Josh Vinny Introduction: There are folders on your computer that Microsoft has tried hard to keep secret. Within these folders you will find two major things: Microsoft Internet Explorer has been logging all of the sites you have ever visited -- even after you " ve cleared your history, and Microsoft's Outlook Express has been logging all of your e-mail correspondence -- even after you " ve ...
Note the default install of XP is about 1.5gigs and the DI image may be larger that 700 meg. So don’t install too much on the OS partition. To help downsize the Image I run the System file checker and reset the cache size to 40 or 50 meg (It’s well over 300 by default).
To run it open the command prop and type:
and finally rebuild the cache with SFC /scannow (have the CD ready)
I also Delete the Pagefile.sys and hibernate.sys files before running Drive Image..
Section 2 By Ankit
1.When setting up the system with tweaks or making changes to the core OS or hardware always be logged in as administrator. Seems that while XP does create an account upon install that has administrator privileges, its not the same as the administrator account is. Think about it this way – if the account created was the same then why have an administrator account period?
2.It is always better to install winXP clean than to do an upgrade.
3. The files and settings wizard is your friend. However it doesn’t save the account passwords for your e-mail and news groups accounts in OE. Export these accounts manually from within OE first before hand and save them in a safe place. This way you will not need to remember what the account info was, just import the account again.
4. If using a SB Live sound card and trying to run Unreal (the game) you may have some problems. This is not the fault of winXP or Unreal. the problem is a bad driver design from creative and the Devloader portion. There is currently no work around for this problem.
5. Many – many games do run in winXP with comparability mode. The easiest way to do this is to simply create a shortcut on the desktop to the game executable and choose the compatibility tab of the shortcut and set up for win98.
The Term Paper on Firewalls Vs Nudity Elite Boo
Starbuxman (11: 45: 02 PM): trying to defend firewalls should be a crime ELITE BOO (11: 46: 17 PM): im not defending them, its only the facts. plus if you try to make that a crime, the world of computers would just laugh at your face ELITE BOO (11: 48: 02 PM): btw, trying to download from nbc i was a bitch, i had to create my own html file to link to them, twice! Starbuxman (11: 48: 40 PM): the ...
6. Do not disable all the services that you find outlined in the win2K tweak guides floating around. Instead set them to manual instead of disabled. This will allow something to start up when it is needed and you’ll avoid the BSOD thing that can occur if something gets disabled that wasn’t supposed to.
7. The winXP firewall is actually very good. However it is not very configurable. I would recommend tiny personal firewall from www.tinysoftware.com. <http://www.tinysoftware.com.> It free and all you need. It so far is the most compatible with winXP – why you may ask? – because (little known trivia fun fact here) this is where the winXP firewall came from. Both the XP built in firewall and tiny will give complete stealth. However what you can do – which is kind of cool is divide the work between the two and use both. use tiny to just filter the ports you want to filter instead of everything and let the built in XP firewall take care of the rest. The result is a smoother running firewall system that reacts much more quickly. I’ve used Nortons , zone alarm (which contrary to popular belief is not a real firewall and a joke in the IT community as a whole) and several of the rest, Tiny has been the best so far.
8. After you complete your clean install and get all your software installed I would recommend that you use something like drive image 4 to do an image of your install partition, then burn the image to CD and keep it. XP is a different creature for some people. If you mess it up when playing around with it, just bring the image back. You can be up and running again in 20 minutes vs. the two to three hours it will take to get the whole thing and all your stuff installed again.
9. choose winXP pro over the personal version because it has more bells and whistles. However if the bells and whistles do not appeal to you then the home (personal) version is the way to go.
10. Avoid problems with WinXP. Insure that your hardware is on the HCL. Don’t be mad because the latest and greatest doesn’t work with your hardware. It is not the fault of MS , winXP or anything or one else. Not defending them here, just being practical. Look at it this way – if your dream car costs $100,000 dollars and you don’t have $100,000 is it the car manufactures fault? nope because thats the free enterprise system and the way it works. Try to upgrade your hardware if you can. If you can’t, wait for drivers from the manufacturer that support winxp. I would highly recommend before installing winXP that you go out and get the win2000 drivers for all your hardware. 99% of the win2000 drivers will work in winXP. This way if winxp doesn’t have drivers, you do.
Drugs Some People Drug Driver Alcohol
Did you know that nine out of every ten adults say that teachers should inform students about drugs in school? Drug addiction is becoming a major problem amongst teenagers. Many people don't even realize that they use drugs. Alcohol is a drug. It is the most popular drug in America. People also don't realize that alcohol is addictive until it's too late. Alcohol is also very dangerous. On ...
XP will ship with out the Virtual Java Machine.
It will not appear on windows update either. Some sites will prompt you to install it upon visit to their sites. However this might change in the near future due to the problem between SUN and MS so the link you get pointed to might no be there.
You can get the virtual Java machine now and have it ready to use when you install XP.