MacDonald September 7, 2012
2. When critics refer to NY as a “nanny state” they’re emphasizing how the state of New York City is being treated as if we were children. Mayor Bloomberg and Thomas Farley, New York City’s health commissioner, are taking direct responsibility on making decisions on our health choices, from what we consume to how much exercise we do on a daily basis.
3. Mayor Bloomberg has taken actions towards making people behave in healthier ways. For example, one plan is to “restrict the size of sugary drinks to 16 ounces or less nearly everywhere they are sold…” thus reducing the amount of sugar we consume in our bodies from ice coffees to a bottle of Mountain-Dew. Another action trying to be enforced is “a push to have hospitals promote breastfeeding by making baby formula less available to new mothers.” Therefor mother’s choice to breast feed is trying to be taken away from our choice to a mandatory action to help benefit our children’s health.
4. As a contribution to “help” New Yorkers smoke less, there have been restrictions on places as to where you can smoke. Smoking isn’t allowed in public areas such as building and school grounds.
5. According to Farley, by creating a healthier environment around the lives of New Yorkers, this allows us to go about with our business without having to worry about our own health behavior. However, if government made more of our decisions for us, in my opinion I feel as if we have to worry more about government having too much power and control over our daily life choices rather then promptly only on our health. I would feel as though we are less free because pro-choice will no longer be viewed as the people’s decision, instead it would be more for government’s idea of what’s “best” for their people.
A representative democracy is a type of government where people elect someone to represent their views. These governments are usually democracies in large nations with great populations, so not every citizen is able to vote on every issue. Over time it has been debated whether or not these democracies represent the powerful few or the majority of the nations people. The people who believe that it ...
6. Mayor Bloomberg’s goal with his health measures is to provide the city of New York a healthier living environment to help expand our life expectancies since 2000. Opponents believe that his policies violate our personal freedom. I believe that our freedom is the main priority then followed by our health. There’s a certain limit to how much control government officials can have over us before it start to look like an anarchy government.
7. Although Farley’s approach might be considered harsh cropping results lead to a shift in conversation. A study discussed in June 2012 provides adequate proof that as a result of such strong health measures and precautions being taken cared of such as the controlling and preventing of AIDS, reductions in heart disease, cancer diabetes and stroke have attributed to an increase and far outpaced the rest of the nations in gains of life expectancy by more than 60%. This form of data can settle certain disagreements between Bloomberg’s supporters and opponents because even though certain actions may have been seen as strong grasp on our rights on certain choices evidence supports that these policies have worked and even decreased a sufficient amount of our health issues once opposed on us. Hence, improvements on our nation’s health have been taken into consideration.
8. The author expects data to shift the conversation from the idea of government officials having too much control over our life health decisions, such as where we can smoke and how much sugar we can intake on a daily basis to providing statistics and proof that their health policies have influenced our lifestyles, along with evidence proving our increase in life expectancies and the decrease of health issues from cancer, diabetes heart disease and strokes throughout the years. The author shifts the conversation and no longer wants us to think as the government as intruders in our lifestyles but managers that have made life decisions for our health that have been a success and keep moving forward with the idea of a better tomorrow .
The melting pot, the city that never sleeps, the big apple. What do all of these things have in common? There are simply nicknames for one of the most exciting places in America, New York City! New York city is full of various forms of entertainment. Since, I’m from the small part of New York, Brooklyn. I am very excited in informing you all on one of my favorite places to visit. Once I am in New ...
9. It is in Bloomberg’s favor to pass the kind of rules he wants to enforce through the city board of health rather than through a legislature because he has a higher chance of his policies or rules being passed through the board instead of his rules being sent to legislative and being revised by senates and later being rejected or “bogged down in a broader state legislature.”
10. As a result to Mayor Bloomberg’s moves “have been linked to New York’s recent gains in average life expectancy”. Ali Mokdad, professor in the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation stated to Reuters that a major role was played by health department, especially due to the healthy living program and policies encouraged by Mayor Bloomberg and New York City’s health commissioner, Thomas Farley for the far out spaced life expectancy resulted by success to controlling and preventing AIDS. Also as a result of healthy living program health issues, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer have been reduced. Initiative was also taken upon New York when banning restriction on smoking where places in public building and restaurants in the city. This is suitable evidence for proving their point that they have helped to improve New York’s health conditions while taking a tighter hold on their people’s natural rights, however I would like to see more statistics and percentiles on the decrease in health issues as stated above and the percentile of smoking reductions if any in the state on New York City in order for me to get a full understanding of just how far our government’s actions have helped to improve that statues of New York City. So in my opinion the evidence provided today was a well amount of evidence for my personal understanding.
In the city where crime was at all time high during the nineties, the top politicians in New York City decided that something should be done to help stop crime. The NYPD implemented the “Stop and Frisk” policy to bring the crime rate down in the city. However it did more than exceed its expectations and it has been more of a negative than a positive. This policy created tension between the NYPD ...