After reading the chapter Shakespeare without all those Words, I have to agree with the arguments in it. Although I am no pro on Shakespeare or not even a repetitive reader of his works I tend to believe that what is said throughout the chapter to be true like many of the great masterpieces of our era. The meanings get lost over time and through manipulation. In today’s society everyone wants the gratification of something without putting the effort in to achieve it. The inexperienced reader Shakespeare may take many, many readings before it becomes clear. Were a “Now” society, we want the quickest, easiest way for everything and expect to get the same effect of the original Shakespearian readers.
The section in the chapter where you speak of the plays becoming something unlike the written play or as far off the mark as possible, is true and bothersome. Writers and directors today want the notoriety that the name Shakespeare brings but then shames the playwright itself. They put their own spin on it, to make it more appealing to the audience or less time consuming. In doing so your missing a great deal of the play and usually it ends up being the core of the story. Audiences walk away without a true understanding of Shakespeare but a twisted and misconstrued idea.
The world in which we live is all about theatrics, exaggerations, fabrications, as well as, entertainment. As you pointed on in the chapter the works of Franco Zeffirelli’s film version of The Taming of the Shrew was only 30% of actual Shakespeare leaving 70% for his own interpretation plus plenty of room for entertainment. What’s the point then? Why even claim its Shakespeare? Answer, they know the name will allure the audience to the play. That being said the people are their under the false pretense that their there for Shakespeare. Not the Shakespeare that has been twisted, turned, tied into the interpretation that feels it’s necessary to draw on the name of someone else’s merits to allure an audience. Its okay for writers to use the name Shakespeare but when it comes to his works apparently many believe they ” re not good enough to entertain.
... people feel a connection to Shakespeare’s characters. The audience also enjoys Shakespeare’s plays because of the strong female characters ... makes them more relevant to our audience compared to Shakespeare’s original audience. Through his amazing technique of explaining ... captivate audiences. In addition Shakespeare had a major effect on the English language. The timeless plots of Shakespeare’s work ...
With all this being said I also agree that today’s’s society is not the same as it was when Shakespeare was more prevalent. Today’s population span is less; people have more distractions and less room in their life’s for intellect. If something asks them to listen and think too many it’s not worth it. They want the story to be slapped right in their faces and figured out for them. Shakespeare’s works are complicated to tackle on the first try, or even the tenth try.
Shakespeare may also not be for everyone like you pointed out. Writers today don’t understand this. By distorting his works they hope to gain a more wide range of people to pay attention only now it’s not Shakespeare and people misunderstand what this great mastermind was all about. Shakespeare may never be a universal enjoyment but making changes and c heaping his works won’t make him one either. There have been many great speeches in our history, books, paintings, plays and operas I don’t think that anyone would change the contents or context of these things. Can you see anyone changing or spinning ht Declaration of Independence, Gettysburg Address or Martin Luther King’s speech for pure time consuming and entertainment reasons.
We would never dream of it. Just because Shakespeare was made for acting doesn’t mean that the context of the story changes overtime. No one in today’s society will ever truly know what Shakespeare is all about if there’s a different version in every book, on every stage or in every classroom. As a beginner of Shakespeare we would all be too lucky if a true lover of Shakespeare was the teacher.
... . Scott, Cynthia D. and Jaffe, Dennis T. Managing change at work: Leading people through organizational transitions, Menlo Park, CA: Crisp Publications, 1995 ... . The issue facing people in business today is how to manage such changes. The origin of one change has an impact on ... that organizations and individual must operate in the environment exist today and will exist in the future. The main thrust ...