– We are at a critical point in the Earth’s history. Together, we will develop the knowledge, skills, perspectives and practices needed to be polar ambassadors and environmentally responsible citizens.
– Youth have a key role to play in shaping the world of today and the world of tomorrow. Youth make a difference!
– We are part of Nature. Our future is tightly linked to biodiversity, the huge variety of other animals and plants, the places they live and their surrounding environments, all over the world.
– Future decisions regarding Arctic sovereignty, governance and development will affect Arctic environments, societies, and international relations.
– Inuit continue to maintain their unique culture within their distinct homeland. Despite modern influences and conveniences, Inuit have retained their language, core knowledge and beliefs. Inuit knowledge contributes to the advancement of a sustainable Arctic and a sustainable planet.
Students on the expedition will explore:
i) The Arctic and its relationship with the global ecosystem
ii) The interconnection of natural and human created systems and how these systems interact with each other
iii) Fundamental connections humans have to each other and the planet through our relationships to the land and other species, and our interaction with all living things
iv) Human and scientific dimensions of environmental issues
v) The importance of environmental factors to human well-being
The Essay on Good And Evil Man Knowledge World
Human beings are destroying the world. It's a fact we all know. Pollution is abundant, we chop down rainforests, we kill our own kind, we steal, lie, and cheat, and the list could go on and on. Daniel Quinn believes that this destruction comes from something more extreme than just the notion to survive. In his novel, Ishmael, Quinn believes that the problems facing humanity are do to man's ...
vii) International Year of Youth, International Year of Biodiversity
and Year of the Inuit priorities
vii) International Polar Year priorities and legacy projects
This expedition is a unique opportunity for participating youth to expand their knowledge of the circumpolar world and to gain new global perspective of the planet, its wonders, and its present and future challenges.
Students on Ice is an award-winning organization offering unique educational expeditions to the Arctic and the Antarctic. Our mandate is to provide students, educators and scientists from around the world with inspiring educational opportunities at the ends of the Earth and, in doing so, help them foster a new understanding and respect for the planet.
This year marks SOI’s 10th anniversary! Since 2000, SOI has taken more than 1,500 high school and university students, scientists and educators to the Arctic and Antarctic from over 40 countries on these unique expeditions.
For those interested in joining an upcoming Students on Ice Arctic or Antarctic expedition, please visit our main website or contact our office.