AP World History
Test Review for “Classical Empires of the Ancient World” Empires to Review
Persia, Classical Greece and the Hellenistic World, Rome, Qin China, Han China, India.
WRITE THESE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON ANOTHER SHEET
Identify the following:
Hippocrates Peloponnesian War
Alexander The Great
Mandate of Heaven
Chinese Dynastic Cycle Augustus Jesus
Trojan War Homer
Pax Romana Pericles
Answer the following questions:
1. Who dominated Greece after the Persian Wars?
2.The Peloponnesian War was between what two groups?
3.What was Alexander’s most lasting achievement?
4.What city in Egypt became the center of the Hellenistic world?
5.Which geographic features of Greece provided a link to the outside world?
6.How did the geography of Greece help create city-states?
7.According to Aristotle, what was the best government?
8.Explain how Athenian democracy worked.
9.Who established an empire that extended from Greece to Egypt and India?
10. Why did Diocletian divide the Roman Empire into two parts?
11. How did the Roman legal system contribute to unity and stability?
12. What was Rome’s attitude toward the Jews of Palestine?
Rome’s great political achievement was to transcend the narrow political orientation of the city-state & to create a world state that unified the different nations of the Mediterranean world. Rome overcame the limitations of the city-state mentality & developed an empirewide system of law & citizenship. Their genius found expression in law and government, the practical, not the ...
13. The Pax Romana ended after the death of which Roman emperor?
14. How did the wealth acquired from winning an empire affect Rome?
15.Roman art and literature blended with that of which other civilization?
16. The decline of the Roman republic followed a century of civil wars fought over what question?
17. Which city did Constantine make the center of power for the Roman Empire?
18. What was Rome’s attitude toward people of different religions in the empire?
19. What were the causes of the fall of the Roman Empire?
20. What similarities existed in the fall of most of the empires?
21. Economically, classical empires and culture remained largely agricultural but had considerable commercial contacts.
22. Describe the trade among and between ancient empires.
23. Explain the difference between cultures and empires.
24. Explain the religions native to each of the cultures.
25. How did Chinese belief systems differ from Hinduism and polytheism?
26. What was the most important result of Greek colonization between 750 and 550 B.C.E.?
27. Know how geography influenced each culture and empire.
28. How did each culture and empire treat their women? Be specific.
Essay: Compare and contrast Qin and Han government and society with any one of these: (1) Mesopotamia and the Harrapan Indus Valley civilization; or (2) other classical civilizations in India (Gupta), Rome, and Greece.