1. Sample of poem (short); five stanzas (min)
Ciquain-(Greek) 5 lines
Quatrain- 4 lines
Sestet- 6 lines
Octave- 8 lines
Two play -2 lines
*Literature- (tag.) Panitikan
*Wika- (tag.) Balarila
*Pilipino writers- Filipinologist
1. Deals with the ideals, thoughts, and emotion’s of man. 2. Anything that is ever written.
3. (Greek) Litera- Letters
(French) Belles Leteres – Letters
4. It is the best form of understanding a human nature fully and to know a nation completely 5. We learn from the innermost feelings and thoughts of people. *Records of man’s experience \ consider as the story of man. *ideas- personal feelings, thoughts
*thoughts- usually think; product of the creativity of mind.
Kinds of literature:
*Figurative of speech or figurative language
1. A faithful reproduction of life
Ex: dejavu- replication on that is happening in our life.
Why? because it is a product, complementary, and documentary of life processes. 2. It illuminates life
* Enlighten; inspiration
... , equally and simultaneously? Hobbes writes that "the Passions that enc line men to Peace, are Fear of Death; Desire of such things ... -13, 186). The final sentence of that passage, "And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short," seems to sum ... . To answer the question: what is the remedy for "the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short," Hobbes recommends that ...
3. Life’s story including struggles, ideals, failures, sacrifices, and happiness. *ideals- norms; what we normally follow.
* Literary genre: fiction, non- fiction
4. Appeals to man’s higher thinking
– Reasoning, interpretation
5. Means emotional, spiritual, intellectual, and creative thinking. 6. Entertains and gives pleasures.
-start to cry
– when we are motivated
7. One of the seven arts.
1. music, dance, theater, painting, sculpture, architecture, literature
2. divided into two: visual, performing
June 26, 2012
Qualities of good literature:
1. Artistry- if it appeals to your own sense of beauty.
– Debatable- different opinion
2. Intellectual value- when we start asking questions
– stimulates our mind to think
– stimulates thoughts and enriches mental life by contemplating
– start use of creative thinking.
3. Suggestiveness- suggest us to be imaginative
– Use of our imagination
4. Spiritual value- helps us to lift our spirit
– It elevates your spirit by bringing out more values
– following ethical standard of life
5. Permanence- it is read again and again
6. Universality- timeless and timely
* Timely – always applicable
Several ways of studying literature:
* It has thematic value – we learn from the theme
* It has its own topic , theme, and subject matter
* For entertainment value – to give pleasure
* For the richness of its plot
* Plot – the storyline
* For the comparison with other works
* We gain more ideas
* Dilution of granture- we start to imagine
* For the ideas it contains
* For its emotional power
* For the author’s unique use of language
* Unique use of language (ex: poem)
* Use of figurative language
* Reflection of life itself
... , conception is that magic moment.’ This suggests that human life starts at the moment of conception, therefore it is wrong to ... when human life starts, for example conception, viability, the primitive streak, potentiality and ... Analyse the various answers to the question. ‘When does human life start?’ (30 marks) There are many different views as to ...
* Disturbing insights or ideas
* Different understanding or interpretation
* The language is fresh, timely, and images.
* Gives reader delights
Basic definition of the poetry:
* Is a concentrated thoughts
* It is a kind of word music (lyrics)
* Expresses only senses
* Five senses:
* Haptics \ tactile- touch
* Olfactory- smell
* Gustatory – taste
* Aural \ auditory –hearing
* Answers our demand for rhythm
* Observatory plus imagination