Pathos- is a technique or strategy used in which a writer ties to generate a specific emotion such as fear envy anger or pity in an audience to dispose it to accept a claim.
Using emotions to build bridges is a technique where the writer writes material which the reader regards as sensitive. “Before they’ll trust you, they’ll want assurance that you understand the issues in depth”. This is a very important strategy because I believe one of the main goal for a writer is to have their audience identify with what they are reading, and what a strong method to use is by drawing out what every human being has within, emotions.
1. Scare tactic- A fallacy argument presenting an issue in terms of exaggerated threats or dangers.
2. Either-or choice – A fallacy of argument in which a complicated issue is misrepresented ads offering only two possible alternatives, one of which is often made to seem vastly preferable to the other.
3. Slippery slope-A fallacy argument exaggerating the possibility that a relatively inconsequential action or choice today will have adverse consequences in the future.
4. Overly sentimental appeal- A fallacy of an argument in which appeal is based on excessive emotion.
5. Bandwagon appeal- A fallacy of an argument in which a course of action is recommended on the grounds that everyone else is following it.
Summary and Application of Fallacies The use of critical thinking requires one to understand how to comprehend an argument. Part of this comprehension includes the ability to recognize a logical fallacy in an argument. The understanding of logical fallacies will help one become a better critical thinker by enabling them to break apart an argument from an opponent and debate the argument by ...
Scare tactic- On cigarette boxes there were images of blackened lungs due to cigarette smoking.
Either-or choice- In Mercury car insurance commercials they give all the benefits that their company can offer, and the completion has far less benefits that are offered.
Slippery slope- If allies of the United States do not adhere to peace treaties now, there will be negative consequences in the future.
Overly Sentimental-I saw an anti-home alarm company ads on the internet and it said “ There’s no price that can be placed on peace of mind. Our advanced security systems protect the well-being of your family so that you can sleep soundly at night
Band wagon appeal- A Verizon commercial had a large amount of people from all different cultural background’s walking around talking on their new Verizon phones and talking about the new data plans they received with their new phones.
I believe that fallacy should not be used in arguments is because the writer can lose credibility, and fallacy could also force the writer to veer away from the specific facts that are trying to be relayed.