CONCEPT OF MODERATION IN ISLAM
1. The US-led ’Crusade’ against Muslim countries is peaking everyday, posing the greatest challenge to Muslim Ummah and threatening its basic ideas, values and principles of life, leaving even its very existence with freedom, at stake. A two-pronged strategy is there, to paralyze and overpower Muslim resistance movements through military invasions and occupation of the Muslim lands at one hand, while on the other hand a systematic onslaught is underway to subdue Islam on ideological, cultural and educational fronts.
2. The enemies of Islam, led by the Zionists, have been pulling almost all the governments and majority of people in the west through excessive manipulation of Zionist-controlled international media. They are misguiding the world opinion by constantly hammering that Muslim countries were being attacked to eliminate terrorists and to liberate the masses from dictatorial rulers, negating the basic human rights. Muslim world lacking resources failed to counter this false propaganda, leaving the world at the mercy of Zionist manipulators. The western propaganda storm has raised so much dust over Bush’s anti-terrorism activism and his doctrine of pre-emptive strikes that few people now consider it the worst form of terrorism known to the mankind in entire history.
3. It would be remissness if, in defence of the people of our faith, we do not trace back the genesis of the Muslims getting labeled with the extremist terrorist tag. Before the anti Soviet, Afghan War started, the Palestine dispute alone was the cause of unrest or concern in the Muslim world which led to a general unification of Muslims in favour of Palestinians and against Israel. The Afghan war of the 80s, supported and facilitated by the West, against the Soviet Union, saw the emergence and nurturing of pan Islamic militancy. Islam as a religion was used to harness mass, worldwide Muslim support. Subsequently, the atrocities and ethnic cleansing against Muslims in Bosnia, the Chechen uprising, Kashmir freedom struggle and invigorated Palestinian Intifada, all erupted in the 90’s after the Soviet disintegration. To make matters worse the militancy sparked in Afghanistan which needed to be defused after the end of the Cold War, was allowed to fester for the whole decade of 90s. This festering wound of Afghanistan with fighters from the entire Muslim world existing within the period of upheaval in other Muslim nations turned multidirectional, looking for new conflict zones where Muslims were suffering.
... PenInventions and Discoveries from the Muslim World By Adnaan Idrees Have you ever ... flooded with applications from not only the local people but from international students all the way from ... found in every household. SOCIETY: Universities: In Islam, we are encouraged to seek knowledge from the ... technology was 'The Book of Horsemanship and Ingenious War Devices' by the Syrian scholar Hasan al-Rammah, ...
4. We hear more often phrase, such as “global war against terrorism”. It proves that the menace is multi-faceted, multi-dimensional and not restricted to a particular country or nation. The scourge, its magnitude and severity is being witnessed in many parts of the world, especially in the Muslim countries such as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Turkey. These countries are direct victims of most sophisticated acts of terrorism sponsored by extremist groups.
5. The brutal acts of terrorists have aroused serious concerns not only in these states but also all over the civilized world. Even the United States and the western countries, despite their superiority in technology, are not much safe from the menace.
6. There is no ideology involved in what the merchants of death and destruction are expounding and executing with so much vanity and pride. Infact, no sane Muslim can buy the argument through ideologues of terror and barbarity are advancing, to justify wholesale carnage of innocent people in the name of a confused and utopian thought. Bleeding and pitting a man against another man is a severely punishable crime as prescribed by our religion Islam and strictly prohibited in all the faiths and creeds.
... before them. Summary The American society has to some degree been influenced by Islam just as the Muslim society has been influenced by the ... . The histories of Muslims in United States is varied with diverse and changing identities. The followers of this major world religion are not ...
7. Extremist outfits and networks of these savage acts are unfortunately found in the Muslim states. It is also a reality that in their so-called “holy war against infidels” the majority of the terrorists as well as victims is no other than Muslims leading to the unfortunate reality of Muslims as both, the perpetrators and sufferer of the crime. This has inevitably made non-Muslims believe, wrongfully, that Islam is a religion of intolerance, militancy and terrorism. This thesis is rapidly evolving across the globe: connecting Islam to fundamentalism, fundamentalism to extremism and extremism to terrorism. We can protest, however vigorously, against this labeling, but the reality is that such arguments are not likely to win this formidable battle of minds against us. To compound our apathy further, we are probably the poorest, most uneducated, most powerless and the most disunited in the world. At this critical juncture we need to enlighten all our Muslims societies that terrorism and its perpetrators are hurting more their fellow Muslims, their own compatriots than anybody else and that concerted endeavours should be made for proper interaction with the scholars, media, academics and opinion makers in the West to dispel the wrong but deep rooted misconceptions about the religion of Islam and the Muslims.
There should be special emphasis on interfaith contacts between Muslim and Christian societies of the West for a better understanding of each other. All such efforts would benefit Muslims more than Non-Muslims in today’s world where no nation or state could live in isolation or self –imposed seclusion. Extremism is a curse and is destroying the very fiber of Muslim societies. It is producing an atmosphere of fanaticism, bigotry and narrow mindedness. Unless these trends are reversed, Muslims will get left far behind the rest of the world. The image of Islam has taken a serious battering. Islamic extremists are thus proving to be a greater danger to Islam than the machinations of non-Muslim forces. We don’t want to sound escapist, but we believe the most urgent need for Muslims at the moment is to protect themselves from madmen and to adopt a philosophy of life that is reasonable, ethical and timely. We are making no concessions or compromises in our faith. The creed is at once Islamic and rational, dictated both by Islam and the intellectual commonsense of the West. We should refuse to take the murderous jihadi as our model for dealing with the highly developed West. Their acts make one wonder what they really understand by progress.
... -live Howe, J. (2009, October 19). Media coverage of Muslims and Islam still open to criticism. UPIU. Retrieved January 6, 2010, from ... the U.S. and the U.K. think about modern Muslims and Islam. The majority of people, 54% of those polled; do ... , and even less knows the bare basics about Muslim and Islam cultures, it is easy for the pictures painted by modern ...
8. “Enlightenment” and “Moderation” are the two distinct features of a Muslim Society. The Muslim community, culture and society if viewed from Islam’s intellectual, ideological and moral perspective, then these two attributes would stand out as the most vibrant features of Islam as a religion and civilization. That is the reason why Islam has decreed ‘Adl’, which stands for moderation and balance, in matters concerning one’s faith, actions, the life of an individual in a society, his community life, worship rituals, economy and even in matters concerning friendship, war and peace. A man is accountable in Islam for all that he does. This sense of accountability depends on his awareness, his power of discretion and enlightenment. It also helps to check bias and imbalance. The Quran has, therefore, described the Muslim Ummah as a Moderate Community. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) also declared moderation and the middle road as the best course. He said: “Moderation is the best course”. Seen in this backdrop, it would sound strange if someone objects to the current talk about ‘Enlightened Moderation’.
9. The ‘enlightenment’ and ‘moderation’ that Islam stands for are those that are essentially in consonance with a Muslim’s allegiance to Allah and obedience of His Prophet (PBUH).
Eiman (Faith), Taqwa (Fear of God), loyalty to the Divine Law (Shariah) and the awareness about the accountability of the Hereafter provide the framework for the evolution of an ideal civilization based on the Islamic system of justice, moderation and balance. This is the form of enlightenment and moderation that is rooted in the Quranic guidance and is free from the dictates of personal ego. The enlightenment and moderation, sanctioned by Islam, are based on the supplication that every Muslim makes daily in all his obligatory and voluntary prayers:
10. “Show us the straight way, The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, Those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.” (Surah Al-Fatiha, Verse: 6 & 7).
... with an acquaintance and he was talking about Muslims, saying that he thinks Islam is a bad religion because of the way ... . I am very curious about how Muslims live and how will Islam effect me if I was Muslim. I know I have many ... Out I chose to pick Women in Islam as my topic because I have many Muslim friends and I think they are ...
11. Let us not forget that the ‘straight path’ is the path of moderation. That is why the Muslim Ummah has been described as “Ummatan Wasatan” (a Moderate Nation), (Surah Al-Baqrah, Verse: 143:2.).
The qualities of equity and justice, which comprehensively include the attributes of balance, goodness, harmony and moderation, have been described as the Muslim Ummah’s mission and its distinct feature ( Al-Nisaa ¾ 135:4, Al-Maedah – 8:5, Al-Aaraf – 29:7; and Al-Nahl – 90:16).
The Holy Prophet (PBUH) declared for his Ummah the golden principle: “Moderation is the best course”, which means that as Muslims we are required to follow the middle road and observe moderation in all that we do.
12. The Islamic concept of enlightenment and moderation is part of the overall Shariah paradigm. It cannot be separated from this Whole. The parameters laid down by the Holy Prophet (PBUH) to keep the Muslim Ummah always on the right track determine the boundary lines of the enlightenment and moderation. He declared:
“The torch bearers of this (Islamic) knowledge will in every generation be those who are upright and just, who will resolutely resist all attempts of subversion by the extremists, wrong doings of the wrong-doers and misinterpretations of the ignorant. “
13. At this moment it is also essential for the West in general and US in particular to understand that the root cause of extremism and militancy lies in political injustice, denial and deprivation. Political injustice to a nation or a people when combined with stark poverty and illiteracy makes the explosive mix leading towards an acute sense of deprivation, hopelessness and powerlessness. A people suffering from a combination of all these lethal ills are easily available cannon fodder for the propagation of militancy and the perpetration of extremist, terrorist acts.
14. It is the time of renaissance for entire Muslim World. The way forward is to head towards enlightenment and concentrate on human resource development through poverty alleviation, education, health and social justice. We have to adopt the path of moderation and a conciliatory approach to wash off the common belief that Islam is a religion of militancy and is also in conflict with modernization and democracy. The world at large and the peace implementing powers must realize that confrontation and use of force is no more the option available to bring ultimate peace. Justice must be done and seen to be done. Let it not be said by our future generations that we, the leaders of today took humanity towards apocalypse.
... had virtues of moderation. The idea of harmony is very important for Plato to definite justice. As Plato explains: “Justice, I think, ... were wisdom, courage, and moderation would make individual person just. Also, in order to get the justice, Plato used the “Gold ... courage and moderation. This leads to a harmony between the parts, the best possible combination, which is described as justice by Plato ...