energy crisis Of Pakistan Short – Presentation Transcript
1. M. Nadeem Jahangir 25 February 2009 Institute of Science & Technology Development, Mehran University of Engineering & Technology, Jamshoro-Pakistan. ENERGY CRISIS OF PAKISTAN: CAUSES & REMEDY
* Energy Resources of Pakistan
* Ten Years of Energy Consumption
* Causes of Energy Crisis
* Energy has become an important requirement for the economic development of a country.
* It plays a pivotal role in the socio-economic development of any country.
* industrial and agricultural purposes
* domestic use of the citizens
* Why Pakistan is facing such a huge energy crisis of its history?
* What are the reasons behind this crisis?
* Why Pakistan cannot able to utilize its natural resources?
* If Pakistan has abundance of coal then why Pakistan importing coal?
... energy crisis-Kinds of Energy.Renewable*Wind*Sunlight.Non Renewable*Petroleum*Gas*Coal*Nuclear Energy-Energy Crisis in Pakistan.Electricity Short fall.Gas Load-shedding-Causes of Energy Crisis ... government has failed to mitigate the enormity of energy crisis in Pakistan. Alternate Energy Resources are Renewable energy resources. Basically, the scientists have divided the ...
* Why half of the Pakistani population has no access to electricity?
5. Energy Resources of Pakistan
* Pakistan’s Conventional Energy Resources
Pakistan’s renewable energy Resources
* Wind Energy
* Solar Energy
* Bio-mass & Bio-fuels
* Geo-Thermal Energy
World Nuclear Association 2008 Nuclear power of capacity 425 MWe Nuclear power Govt. of Pakistan 2005 46,000 MW identified potential Hydro Energy Pak Eco Survey 2007-08 185 billion tones recoverable reserves. Coal Pak Eco Survey 2007-08 31,266 trillion cubic feet recoverable reserves. Natural Gas Pak Eco Survey 2007-08 339 million barrels recoverable reserves. Crude Oil Source Potential Energy Type
7. Energy Resources of Pakistan
8. Ten Years of Energy Consumption Source: Pakistan Economic survey 2007-08
9. Ten Years of Energy Consumption
* In 2007 Pakistan consumed up to 60.388 MTOE of energy in which 19.835 MTOE was imported in form of Oil and Coal .
* Relying heavily over imported oil and coal and shortage of natural gas in future will certainly chock the economic growth for many years.
Ten Years of Energy Consumption
11. Causes of Energy Crisis
* 1. Economic and Political instability.
* Effects our GDP & Energy growth…
* 2. Fluctuation of oil prices in international market.
* WAPDA & KESC purchase expensive oil and transfer cost to customers…
* 3. Faulty Distribution System.
* We waste 15 to 20 percent energy through poor distribution system…
* 4. Aging of equipment.
* Unable to generate required electricity…
* 5. Unproductive efforts.
* Seminars & conferences but no implementation…
* 6. Silting Process.
* It is a naturally caused process which reduces the storage capacity of reservoirs…
* 7. Mismanagement of energy resources.
* Lack of technical knowledge and equipment to utilize existing resources…
... are the enterprise long-term plan and strategies target (James & Donal 2012). The human resources are the main resource of international and enterprise ... the values human resources strategies, the human resources department should design a suitable plan to provide recruitment, training, development and long-term incentive for ...
12. “ It is a slow and continuous process, which has reduced the storage capacity of Tarbela and Mangla dams considerably” Institute for Defense Studies & Analysis “ It is the process, which is naturally caused, and influenced, one which initiates when the river is dammed and ends when the reservoir basin is practically filled with sediments.” “ It is reducing the storage capacity of the world’s reservoirs by more than 1% par year.” Silting and Desilting of Reservoirs Dan G Batuca and Jan M. Jordaan Silting Process
13. Recommendations To overcome present energy crisis, Pakistan needs to take the following steps in form of: 1. Short Term Plan 2. Medium Term Plan 3. Long Term Plan.
* 1. Short-term Plan:
* Increase the number of IPPs (Independent Power Producers).
* Reactivate the closed power generating units.
* Overhaul the existing poor distribution system.
* Import electricity to fulfill the current need for industries on ad hoc basis.
* Government should have strict check on energy indicators on regular basis to counter such crisis in future.
* 2. Medium-term Plan:
* 1. Transformation of existing system to renewable energy resources.
* 2. Developing and installing biogas, solar, wind and micro hydro based projects in villages.
* 3. Long-term Plan:
* 1. Developing and installing coal based powerhouses.
* 2. Initiate agreements for mega projects with the energy extensive countries for sustainable energy resources.
* 3. Explorations of more oil, gas and coal reserves.
* 4. Provide incentives for up-gradation and training to the engineer for new technology
* This study recommends Government of Pakistan to take strong steps to overhaul its existing infrastructure and transformed it to utilize renewable energy for future needs.
... energy consumption * Reduced energy bills * No transmission and distribution losses * Less burden on national government ... pipes to deliver their energy. The existing grid, tweaked and ... energy from the wind to the sea. Energy can be extracted from tides by creating a reservoir ... in this issue describes, plans for the end of ... achieve high efficiencies in energy conversion terms, especially where the ...
* Government should also take steps to utilize the coal reserves though it will give us energy for next 25 years.