Tourette’s Syndrome is a disorder in motor skills, movements, and behavior. It is caused by a genetic disturbance that affects the central nervous system. There is a chemical imbalance in the brain. It is just one of many movement or “tic” disorders. It was discovered by Gilles de la Tourette’s, which is where the name comes from. When a person has tourette’s syndrome, their muscles twitch and they uncontrollably shout out noises or in some cases, obscene words. They just come out. It is found more often in boys, usually between the ages of 2 and 16, and will last for the remainder of their lives It is found more often in Jews and rarely found in blacks. If the person concentrates, they can control their tics for awhile, but then later the tics will erupt violently and they will come all at once. For example, a lawyer with tourette’s syndrome may show no tics while he is in court, but when he get home or back to the office, he’ll have a many more tics that are more severe than normal.
These involuntary motor tics are very rapid, and sometimes, very different and interesting movements. Facial tics usually begin the attacks in about 80% of the people with the disorder. Vocal tics, like barks, grunts, hisses, and offensive words, only show up in the other 20%. Other tics include the muscles in the face, head, and shoulders, like sniffing, shrugging, blinking, and scowling. When tourette’s syndrome is found in girls, behavioral problems are found more often than muscle and facial tics. One of the most common ones is obsessive-compulsive behavior. These symptoms will seem better sometimes, and worse other times. They go back and forth. These symptoms sometimes get worse with age, but many times, the symptoms just fade away as the patient gets older.
... Tourette Syndrome cannot be treated as a whole. Medications must be issued for the different aspects of the disease. For example, Tics and movements ... seat. Although these symptoms may seem fairly similar it Tourette Syndrome, it is important to remember that Tourette Syndrome is a ... disorder (Peiss). Complex tics are movements or vocalizations which make use of more than one muscle group to appear ...
There are different classifications of tourette’s syndrome. The most common of course is the facial and vocal tics that I’ve mentioned before. Blurting out dirty words is called coprolalia. It is the least common level of tourette’s syndrome, but it is the most well-known one. Echolalia is when the patient repeats what someone else said. Palilalia is repeating words or phrases, and then there is also obsessive-compulsive behavior. All of these are classified under tourette’s syndrome. But before each patient can be diagnosed with one of these, they first have to figure out if it is tourette’s syndrome that the person has. It is sometimes hard to distinguish from other disorders. They have to administer blood tests to rule out the possibility of Wilson’s disease and they must do a psychiatric exam to rule out schizophrenia. If they have tics that last for at least a year, or multiple tics each day they can be diagnosed with tourette’s syndrome, but sometimes these cases are very close to transient facial tics which is another disorder all in itself.
Once the person knows they have tourette’s syndrome, they should avoid fatigue and stress, both of which can bring on the symptoms or even make them worse. Support from friends and family really helps to lessen the stress and feelings of social isolation. Therapy also can help reduce anxiety and other problems that will be experienced. This therapy will usually include medication to decrease the number and severity of the tics. Usually the medication given is haloperidol, or Haldol, but Prolixin or Orap may be better for the patient to put up with. Prozac and Catapres are two other medications that can help with tourette’s syndrome.
Many people with tourette’s syndrome adjust to it well and get used to it. It is possible that they could have some emotional problems from it, but nothing that can’t be fixed with a few visits to the psychologist. The ability to socially accept it lies mainly with how the family and the person themselves can accept and deal with the disorder.
... person with Tourette Syndrome is to assist the person in learning and interacting productively in school and society. Toru ette Syndrome is a multiple tic disorder, ... medications available for the treatment of the Tourette Syndrome. Drugs such as (Or ap) and (Cat apres) are used to control tics. ... troubling symptoms may exacerbate other symptoms. All medications have undesirable and often severe side ...
Tourette’s Syndrome. Tourette’s Syndrome Association. 6 March 2001 <http://www.mentalhealth.com/book/p40-gtor.html#Head_2>
“Tourette’s Syndrome.” Johns Hopkins Family Health Book. 1999 ed.
Wynbrandt, James. “The Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects. “Tourette’s Syndrome.” Second ed. 2000.